> From: Jeffrey Lee
>
> Does anyone know where I can find some documents online to help me
learn
> RPG/400? I have access to as400s and would like to learn as much as
> possible about programming with rpg400.

The MC Press bookstore (www.mc-store.com), with which I am affiliated,
has a boatload of books on this sort of stuff.  For RPG, you can't go
wrong with the Cozzi books, with a longstanding reputation as the best
in the business.

> I would also like to learn some
> general commands for the as400 as well as commands used in
programming,
> like %trim() etc.

For OS/400 commands, there are a couple of great references, including
the MC Press Desktop Encyclopedia which is currently on sale for a song
at $25.

> I like creating web apps that intergrate with background applications
on
> linux with php and would like to do the same thing on the 400 with
rpg.

This is a little trickier.  Depending on what you want to do, you might
want to play with Brad Stone's e-RPG.  This is a technique where RPG is
used to format and output web pages, similar to what PHP does.

Long term, I suggest learning Java and then learning servlets and
JavaServer Pages, but e-RPG will get you there quickly.  Or, instead of
a book, you might want to try IBM's Easy400 site:

http://www-922.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/easy400

That site has a whole slew of tools for creating RPG-CGI programs.

Joe