You would do better to learn RPG IV or ILE.  A book I use for reference is
"Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV?" by IBM themselves.  Other than
that, reading the messages in this list, and looking at code written by
"good" RPG programmers is a good way to start.  If the documentation in
the program is good  enough, you should be able to read the program and
understand what it is doing step by step through the code and
documentation.  Some might even go as far to say that you should learn RPG
free format, but that I think is a personal choice.  I like both but since
our shop is not using free format, I stick to the structured version.
Amazon.com should have plenty of books available for self-teaching as
well.  Just do a search on RPG and browse till you find one you like. Like
I said though, find a good program that someone has written, then proceed
to pick it apart and learn what it is doing and the code will start to
make sense, hopefully.
HTH.

Ron Power
Programmer
Information Services
City Of St. John's, NL
P.O. Box 908
St. John's, NL
A1C 5M2
Tel: 709-576-8132
Email: rpower@xxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.stjohns.ca/
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm. -
Sir Winston Churchill

"Jeffrey Lee" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/08/2004 12:54 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Learning RPG

Does anyone know where I can find some documents online to help me learn
RPG/400? I have access to as400s and would like to learn as much as
possible about programming with rpg400. I would also like to learn some
general commands for the as400 as well as commands used in programming,
like %trim() etc.

I like creating web apps that intergrate with background applications on
linux with php and would like to do the same thing on the 400 with rpg.

Thanks,
Jeff Lee