Buck wrote:
Do you (would you) routinely reclaim a named activation group in production?
Under what circumstances would you not let it live for the life of the job?
My point is that most people don't take advantage of AGs: they are _forced_
to pick one because the compiler insists on DFTACTGRP(*NO) if you use
subprocedures.  If they go for the simplest solution, a named AG, they are
pretty much emulating OPM (or trying to, anyway.)  If there's a share, it'll
be for the life of the job, just like the OPM program they are probably
converting from.  I think there are very many more people in a mixed OPM/ILE
environment than there are in ILE-only.

In our application, the environment (library list, etc.) is set up by an OPM program, that sends the user to a menu. As soon as they choose a menu option, a named activation group is started. Most users will stay in this activation group until they log off, but it is possible to leave the environment and start a new environment (switching between companies or between test and production). As soon as the user leaves the environment, the activation group is reclaimed. We don't want any leftovers in the new environment.

We have a user-defined menu system, and I can't imagine how I would be able
to get that done.  Sigh.
  --buck

We let users use either system menus or user-defined menus, but all our menu calls are started by a central program; that is the one that sets up the activation group, all other programs are *CALLER. When we operate in a mixed environment (customer still has lots of OPM programs; all new and most modified programs become ILE) the first thing we do is install the ILE version of the central program. No problem calling OPM from the central ILE program; when programs are converted to ILE the 'plumbing' is already there.

Joep Beckeringh