> I've finally confused myself.  I compile a program with DFTACTGRP(*NO)
> ACTGRP(*CALLER).  Do bad things happen if:
>
> 1. I call from another ILE program
> 2. I call from an OPM program
> 3. I call it from the command line
> 4. I invoke it directly as my signon program
> 5. I invoke it as the first program in a submitted job
>
> My guess is that 3, 4 and 5 should be very similar in nature.  For case
> one, I simply take on the ACTGRP of the ILE.  I don't even care to guess
> at the second option.
>
> Joe

Joe,

Your guess is essentially correct, just add option 2 to your list:
options 2,3,4, and 5 will all run in the DAG (Default Activation Group)
even though you specified DFTACTGRP(*NO) baceuase of the ACTGRP(*CALLER)
option.

Will bad things happen?  Probably not, but it does defeat the purpose of
Activation Groups in the first place.  I discuss this, among other
things, in an article MidrangeServer.com published.  You may find it
useful:

http://www.midrangeserver.com/fhg/fhg021104-story01.html

Basically, I would avoid putting anything in the DAG that didn't need to
be there.  The DAG is for OPM programs and System code.  One of the
defining characteristics of ILE is the ability to "sub-organize" tasks
and their related resource requirements, so knowingly using the DAG
seems anti-ILEish to me.

As a general rule in my shop, no programs are created with *CALLER.
They are created with either *NEW or 'named' depending on the frequency
of their use.  Service programs, by contrast are always created with
*CALLER unless there is a specific feature or performance need to use a
'named' activation group.

Joel Cochran
http://www.rpgnext.com