If I understand ACTGRPs correctly:

*CALLER runs in whatever AG the calling routine is in.  (Even if it is
an OPM program.)

*NEW      Starts a new ACTGRP that goes away when the object does.
(Correct?)

<NAMED> Starts a new ACTGRP named <x> (if required) that goes away when
the JOB ends.  (Your session, if interactive.)  This can be a source of
confusion, when you KNOW you've made the change yet the code still errs
like it used to. . .

===

To reclaim ane ACTGRP, use RCLACTGRP <name>/*ELIGIBLE.  *ELIGIBLE will
reclaim all ACTGRPs that are no longer used.

===

You can only use *CALLER if the called routine is a standalone bound
program, NO *SRVPGM calls.  (I guess because of the possible link to an
OPM environment.)

*NEW is similair to the OPM environment, except that it is ILE.  (Doh!)
I.E. persistence of objects, initializations, etc.

If the program is used once, it is a wash over *NEW or <named>.  The
more times it is called in a job, the more you should lean towards
<named>.

Depending on how the SRVPGM is created and how the routine termintates,
you may or may not get an initialized storage area with each call.