Meant to get back to this-un.  Points 1 and 3 are Very well-taken.  My
problem is with point #2:

"Apparently" (to me obviously), the IEEE spec is a "joke" because it's so
out-dated.  And fixed-in-stone standards that don't change with modern
computing end up working AGAINST the computer industry.  Plus, I doubt if a
lot of these kinds-a Standards Bodies even HAD any awareness of the 400
platform to begin with.