Just to avoid a point of corn-fusion, if you have an RPG variable based-on a
pointer that points to a UsrSpc, then RPG can write to the UsrSpc with a
MOVE or EVAL.  I'm not sure what could be simpler?

| The only reason I have RPG doing xml parsing and acting as a web
| service is because I am tasked with not using technologies that
| others in my
| group do not know...

Policy makes a lotta sense to me.  Swapping out programming language is less
glamorous and more difficult than one would think, from experience because I
did that in the shop I used to run.  I know some (Hans, for example) have
liked the idea of re-writing ALL the custom apps (and I'm looking forward to
the new xPG compiler re-written from ground-up from scratch, as well...;-).

Also along those lines:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/03/23/TwentyFive