To accomplish what you have stated will require modifications to the DDS
for the screen  and coding to handle it in RPG.  Note: I code in RPG/ILE
now and will use it for my demonstration.

In the DDS add the following lines to the top of the record format that
you are working in:

A   N05                CF05
A   N02                CF02

In the RPG program code it as follows:
 // this will active both funtion keys

 Eval *in05 = *off
 Eval *in02 = *off

 // this is the read loop
  Do until *inkc

    // get user input
    Exfmt format

    // I use a select statement to process all single event options like
function keys
   Select
   // F3 = Exit
   When *inkc
      Iter
   // F5 = Update
   When *inke
    Eval *in02 = *on  // this will disable the F2 key
   Call sendmessage('Press enter to update')  //this will put a message
at the bottom of the screen if you have it set up
   Iter
   // F2 = Delete
  When *inkb
   Eval *in05 = *on  // this will disable the F5 eky
  Call sendmessage('Press enter to confirm deletion')  //this will put a
message at the bottom of the screen if you have it set up
  Iter
  Endsl

  Enddo

That should fulfill your requirements.  By the way there is no
'sendmessage' program.  You will have to either create it.

Marvin Radding