Don't sign anything you don't agree to.  If you don't want to play by
their rules, leave the ballpark.  Frankly if you signed a NDA and you
don't keep it to yourself, then your word is worth nothing.

Lot's of people care.  Can you imagine the delays in purchasing if there
was an announcement in the works for some super new model coming out that
was a thousand times as powerful as their top of the line and it could be
purchased for 10 pounds of scrap aluminum?  (Just used as an example -
don't make any business decisions based on this example.)  IBM would be
honked if this were true, and it was leaked by someone who signed a NDA.

There are shops, with multiple iSeries, who will have all of their models
on the latest release of OS within 6 months of GA date.  Who have actually
cut off divisions (who didn't have source or compilers) from getting any
mods because they were no longer on a supported release.  (Boy, did they
upgrade fast!)  They will use the latest enhancements as soon as the first
production machine is at the latest release.

I never want to discourage people from studying the latest in the
language.  Those who let themselves be led by those who never upgrade, who
brag because their stuff runs on V2R3, who never use a technique that
wasn't taught in their RPGII class in college; are being led to the
unemployment line.

I can see how it would be frustrating to write books about RPG and have
them come out with whole new techniques that might give the appearance
that your books were obsolete.  Look at it as an opportunity to get people
to buy your latest revision.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/09/2004 03:51 PM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Any new RPG features in V5R3 ?

So who cares?
NDA's are not what they used to be, when you actually learned about
upcoming
stuff far in advance of when it was being publicized. Today, virtually
everyone knows just about everything major coming out, and what we don't
know about, we probably don't care about. And certainly nobody (i.e. IBM
competitors) are going to incorporate cool, new RPG IV enhancements into
their products because somebody said "Hey, they %TRIMR built-in now allows
you to specify the character or characters you want to delete."
The other thing that's curious to me is, why do you care if someone breaks
their non-discloser? Perhaps you're just letting them know that they may
have violated it, as a courtesy to them. Oh well.
Except for users of the new convergence machine (combined iSeries and
pSeries) that might require V5.3, how quickly will anybody move to V5R3?
I would guess it will be 2006 before at least 50% of the install base as
moved, so V5.3 is a non-issue, to most in my opinion.
-Bob