cozzi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hans,

Sorry perhaps my memory had a V5.3 feature confused with something
else we've discussed on-line before.

-Bob

Hi Bob! Sorry for the sarcastic tone of my last note. As we discussed previously, there are some incremental improvements to SORTA in that you can now code a fully qualified name as the operand. For example, "SORTA DS(I).SA(J).SA" is now allowed, provided that the subfield SA is an array.

Doing a SORTA on an array data structure is a "future objective", and perhaps someday we'll allow some kind of syntax like "SORTA DS(*).KEY" to sort the data structure using subfield KEY as the key. We'll have to study this carefully since we'd probably need to use a different sort algorithm. For sorting DS arrays, preferably, we should use a stable sort algorithm. That is, items with equal key should be kept in the same relative sequence after the sort. (BTW, the same kind of syntax could also apply to %LOOKUP, as in "%LOOKUP('needle':HAYSTACKDS(*).KEY)".)

Cheers! Hans