Booth Martin wrote:
Hans, its not about saving an EXSR line. *INZSR runs before one can EXSR.

As I mentioned earlier (and as Douglas re-iterated), that's only an issue if you're doing cycle programming. Are you still writing cycle programs?

So far as putting the initialization lines up front... I find nothing
useful about that concept. I do not miss the old days when we had to wade
through dozens of lines of initialization code before we could see the real
program. I want to see the mainline as soon as possible. Additionally I'd
really prefer to have the initialization code off to one side where I can
review it separately..

Of course, traditionally your mainline code should have consisted of just three statements: call initialization; call input; call output.

If you want your initialization in a separate subroutine, without *INZSR you still have the option to put it in a separate subroutine which you would call explicitly. It's then also clear when reading top-down that there is initialization happening. Now, you can never be sure that you're not missing some vital initialization in some *INZSR pages down in the subroutine section of the code.

Cheers! Hans