> These 2 files have parent/child relationships in them.
> I'm trying to figure out which parent/child relationships
> are in FILEA, but not in FILEB and vice versa.
-snip-
> And finally, Can the RPG cycle be used in a
> sub procedure?

By definition, a sub-procedure has no cycle code.

Anyway, your question about using primary/secondary files for this purpose
will lead you to matching record.  Without MR, primary/secondary files work
like an old card reader: read all the records in the primary bin, then all
the records in the secondary bin.  Matching records is what drives the card
reader to read a primary and then a secondary, in an (almost) alternating
fashion.  I seriously doubt that you want to go there as a cycle newbie.
(Please note that I know, use and like MR and this is not an editorial
against it's use.  If you want to use the cycle for this job, read up on
matching record.)

The non-MR means of doing this involves reading all the records from FILEA
and CHAIN to FILEB.  Whether you find a match or not will determine one half
of the parent/child relationships.  Then, pass through FILEB and CHAIN to
FILEA.  You can do it all in one program if you define the two files as IF.
You can SETLL FILEA, set up a READ look and CHAIN to FILEB.  Then do the
same thing with the names exchanged.

Of course, if this is a one-time chore, SQL or Query will suffice.  I know
you said you don't have SQL, but you have QMQRY, which gives you the power
of SQL at the command line.  It's in the FAQ, I think.

I hope this was helpful.
  --buck