Grizzly,

Are you looking to write an RPG program to do this?  If you do, I
recommend implementing NTP (Network Time Protocol) since it's an internet
standard, and there are NTP clients already available for just about every
operating system.   NTP is an internet standard, so you'd be sure to be
compatible that way.

I wrote a simple NTP client (but not a server) which you can take a look
at if you're interested.  The RPG IV source code is here:
http://www.scottklement.com/ntp/

If you don't want to write your own, I believe that IBM has an NTP client
and server package that you can buy.  But, since this is the RPG
programming forum, I assume that you actually want to write one...