Scott,

 Many thanks, your correction to my prototype made the RPG compiler happy,
but I had to upgrade from POI-1.5 to POI-2.0 in order to make the runtime
work. I dunno, if the CLASSPATH points to POI-2.0 it works, if it points to
POI-1.5 it fails everytime.

 I'd seen and studied Kevin Vandever's series of articles before, but had
not seen Giuseppe Costagliola's excellent "Excel on the Fly" utility. I even
liberated some of his code that sets the CLASSPATH inside the RPG.

JK