As the one person stated, my argument was that, for many people, that if
they don't use a new technique, to the exclusion of the old, for a set
period then you truly don't learn the new technique, or adopt it as
fluidly.  And only after that set period can you return to using the old
for cases when it makes sense.

I still use subroutines when it's appropriate, but my usage of
subprocedures far outweighs subroutines.

I argued that we should have eliminated the command STRSEU from our
machines for 2 to 3 months after paying an instructor to give a 2 day
class on CODE/400 a few years back.  After that time, if you truly felt
that there were times when STRSEU may have been more appropriate, then use
that.  But at least peek at the top of the training curve before you run
for the storm shelter.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/24/2003 01:37 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Benefits of Sub-procedures

Well, Rob.  You're still one-a my favo-RITES...;-D

I believe, and some would agree and some would disagree, that issuing a
"Commandment from God" is tripping out, and I believe most would find that
to be an exhibition of very poor people-skills.  There are differences in
management styles, and I was told by one-a my mentors (a Controller in the
"small" $200M company, and I've found in my experience) that the best
managers will use different approaches depending on the individual they
are
working with.

And one to eliminate ALL subroutines, at that...!  Are you aware that (in
tests I ran a few years ago, so newer hardware/software may be different)
BEGSR "call" is twice as fast as a bound call.

As someone (I apologize, I forget who, several iirc) pointed out, when you
are running a batch job over a million bazillion records, then a module
makes one HECK of a performance difference over a program, which is one of
it's many benefits.

So, too, subroutines still have a use in some cases, just like primary
files
do.  All that's new is not necessarily for the better, and all that's old
is
not necessarily for the worst.  That is an oversimplification.