Amen to that Eric.

However I've been on the other foot.  I regret to say that I once strongly
discouraged the use of UIM because of maintenance purposes, "who else here
knows that?".

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/24/2003 09:08 AM
Please respond to

"'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Benefits of Sub-procedures

Actually, yes, I think I would be surprised by her actions.  In her
situation, the choices seem simple:

1) Call the guy who wrote the stuff for a consult.  Even without direct
access to a terminal, his experience could have resolved her problems
quickly.

2) Hire an outside expert to repair the problem.  Not as efficient, since
the consultant must gain understanding the hard way.

3) Scrap a complete and basically functional app, and completely rewrite
it
(in an archaic language/style).  By far the least productive of all
choices,
since it means all the money spent on the initial development AND the
money
spent on an unnecessary rewrite are WASTED.

observation:
If the manager never reviewed the code before it hit her machine, then
what
does she expect.  It's her job to understand what her box is sopposed to
be
doing, and how it must be managed and maintained.

This is sort of a hot button for me...  There's ever more pressure being
placed on us to produce the highest quality software, with the richest
feature-set, and snazziest interfaces.  Make it perfect and idiot-proof
and
stable and portable.  But write it all in RPGII so our janitor/junior ops
programmer flunkie who programmed a S34 once back in 1984 can help to
maintain it for the next 40 years or so.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)
940-898-7863 or ext. 1863