When you get right done to it they are the same.  LPEX is a type of editor or
something like that. Not sure of the correct term for it.  The editor in
CODE/400 is LPEX too, but it is written in C++(C?).  IBM takes the LPEX base
editor and then adds to it to give you the RPG/COBOL editing stuff.  The editor
in WDSC is based on LPEX too, but it is written in Java.  IBM or somebody
started calling the editor in WDSC JLPEX to help differentiate it from CODE/400.
The editor in CODE/400 is sometimes referred to as LPEX.  History lesson
over....

Since CODE/400 has been around a lot longer than JLPEX, it has more
functionality, BUT IBM is very quickly 'porting' that missing functionality over
to JLPEX.  Once they/us feel that JLPEX is on par with CODE/400, CODE/400 will
stop being supported.  The future as far as IBM is concerned is JLPEX.

With that said, your best bet is to learn/use JLPEX.  Since you have not used
CODE/400 you will not know about all the great bells and whistles it has and
miss them in JLPEX.  And yes, if you want to use JLPEX, you have to 'use' WDSC
because it is integrated into it.  With JLPEX, you need to start WDSC first and
then open a source member in JLPEX.  You can start CODE/400 from an icon on your
desktop.

-- Scott Johnson