From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Liotta

>   2. v4 vs v5 rpg. was Prototypes, /COPY and LIKE() (Steve Richter)
>
>What is the current year IBM r/d budget for rpg?  what was it 5 yrs ago?

Tom wrote:

By itself, the answer to this question wouldn't be very meaningful. Now, if
similar figures were also provided for C R/D, maybe a tentative conclusion
could be made. RPG > C? Hmmm... if so, I guess that would make C a dead
language.

The C example is a very good one.  Back in the day of Bjarne Stroustrup all
the improvements on C were added onto a new language C++. Those who wanted
to stay with C did so, those who wanted to use the new features, used the
new language, C++.  Instead of arguing and compromising with users over
adding features to RPG to make it more modular, IBM could simply start a new
language.

Also, in terms of how does a language enable its programmers get and keep
jobs, while C be a decent language and it can be compiled on a lot of
platforms, how many C programmers are employed today compared to the number
10 and 20 years ago?

-Steve