 |  Take the following code for instance and put it into C
 |  specs and tell me
 |  /free isn't better suited.  Heck, I need another 80 spaces
 |  to the right. . .

I haven't used /free yet but I guess I'll throw another log on this fire!

Expanded factor 2 can be very readable with a little effort.

For instance:
          DOMParser =
           DOMParser_init(
              pSourceType: pSourceString: pValidate: 37:
   pErrorProcPtr);

Can easily become:
         Eval   DOMParser = DOMParser_init( pSourceType
                                          : pSourceString
                                          : pValidate
                                          : 37
                                          : pErrorProcPtr
                                          )

I think that's about as crystal clear as can be.

This style works even for longer names:

instead of:
         batch.id = #CtoN(DOMXPath_getAttrValue(root:
   'Batch/id': *Omit))

how about:
                    Eval      batch.id =
                                  #CtoN(DOMXPath_getAttrValue( root
                                                             : 'Batch/id'
                                                             : *Omit
                                                             )
                                       )

But for really long names or nested long names this starts to break down a
bit I'll admit:

 batch.customerDivision =  #CtoN(DOMXPath_getAttrValue(root :
Batch/customerDivision' : *Omit));

becomes:
                    Eval      batch.customerDivision = #CtoN(
                                  DOMXPath_getAttrValue(
                                                   root
                                                : 'Batch/customerDivision'
                                                : *Omit
                                                       )
                                                            )

 batch.customerSubDivision = #CtoN(DOMXPath_getAttrValue(root :
'Batch/customerSubDivision' : *Omit));

becomes:
                    Eval      batch.customerSubDivision = #CtoN(
                                 DOMXPath_getAttrValue(
                                                   root
                                             : 'Batch/customerSubDivision'
                                             : *Omit
                                             )
                                                               )

Still "followable" but not as visually clean.  But I don't really like
everything on one super long either.  Gotta keep scrolling left and right.
Maybe /free mixed with a little attention to appearance discipline would be
the best.

So hey - why limit it to 80 more spaces - how 'bout *NOMAX!  (Or is that
something you can do w/source in IFS, something else I've yet to try)

My 2 cents.

Tom Daly