Hi Scott,

thanks for the critique, don't have time to go into all of it right now,
but a couple points -

I cobbled most of this together in my spare time over a day or two, and got
it going quickly so I could test to see if I was on the right track as far
as time savings.  I could tell right away, i was saving a lot of time.
hopefully with your recommendations I can get this job down to under an
hour from the current six hours.

most of it was stuff I borrowed (some of it yours) from different places in
the lists archives and other websites. that's why you see a little of your
standard stuff there.

I looked at your IFS tutorial too - it helped a lot.  but a couple of the
techniques you've been telling me to use here, are done a little
differently there.  Is that stuff older and you've found better ways of
doing it?

I'm not at v5r2 (soon - a couple of months) so %dec is not an option.

a couple of your picks were just fast and sloppy code. (the indicator twice
turned off for instance).  I tend to write quickly and get something
working and then go back and clean it up.

I know that these parsing routines won't handle imbedded commas and quotes.
the file i need it to work for doesn't have that problem - all numbers and
dates, with no comma numeric editing.  I intend to go back and add those
features later.  For now, I'm just trying to get this quickly working, and
working quickly, before next wednesday so we don't have another 6 hour
batch job run in the middle of the day.   (oh the pressure! ;)

the parsedelimalph does only run the parsedelim proc - I'm not sure what I
was going to do here, but I was SURE that eventually, this proc might have
more to do....

I'm not critiqing your critique - just letting you know that i knew it had
many of the little problems you found.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Rick