Scott,

Maybe I'm not getting what your say, but isn't it more you want them to do is a
version of their clients (CODE, WDSC, OPsNavegator, CA400, etc) that will run
under any operating system. ie: Unix, Lynx... etc even the dreaded Windoz?  If
so it would have nothing to do with the OS on the iSeries (other than it's
interfaces thru API's and LIPI's), but everything to do with a version of the
Client code that could run under brand-x OS on a PC

They sort of use to have this with CA400 (PCS400) when they did a version for
Win-3.x, Win-NT, DOS and OS2 (if I'm understanding you statements correctly),
but yes it would make since to have a version that could run some other OS
other than Windoz, but I'm sure it's a marketing thing (as well as a support
issue).

Or maybe I totally don't understand the comments.  If so just ignore (happens
to me all the time at home!).

Regards,

-- Jim LowAry

>>> klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06/03/03 05:38PM >>>

I'm obviously not getting my message through!!!

I'm explaining why I can't/won't use CODE or WDSC to edit source!

> You saw the thread a while back about VNC on iSeries PASE?  I'm not sure how
> "native" this would be, but my understanding is that PASE environment is
> managed by OS400.

IBM makes a version of Unix called AIX.  PASE is a way to run AIX
applications on the iSeries in an "AIX emulation environment" of sorts.
Yes, they make X11 for AIX.   Yes, they make VNC for X11.  Great!  How
does that help me run CODE/WDSC/OPSNAV/etc???

> Still, working in a Unix context within OS400 seems a little kludgy, and
> might not be as useful as it first seems.  Anyway, VNC has clients for
> almost everybody.....

Yes.  Running Unix software on the iSeries can be "kludgy."  Hmmm... maybe
that could be why I suggested a native version?

> The consensus was that unless IBM makes X11 or VNC a standard interface on
> iSeries, that nobody would use it.

Since we're talking about IBM writing their main GUI software for the
iSeries in this environment, I'd expect that they'd make it a standard...
if not, it would become the defacto standard just because everyone would
have to use it to use their iSeries.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated