This pass the compiler but I don't know if is what you
want:

d parm1           s             10    dim(100)
d p               s              6  0
d x               s              6  0
d sep             c                   const(', ')
d text            s             55
 /free
  eval x=1;
  clear text;
   for p=1 to %elem(parm1);
    if parm1(p)=*blanks;
     leave;
    endif;
    eval %subst(text:x)=parm1(p);
    eval x+=%len(parm1(p));
    eval %subst(text:x)=sep;
    eval x+=%len(sep);
    if x+%len(parm1(p))+%len(sep)>%len(text);
     eval x=1;
     // do something with TEXT....
     clear text;
    endif;