On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:09:03 -0500
 "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (You knew I'd have to comment, didn't you?  <grin>)
>
> When I teach, I get people up and writing applications in
> a week as well,
> only using WebSphere and Java.  Obviously there's a
> longer learning curve,
> especially for folks who have never before seen HTML or
> Java, but that's
> part of the new world.  And if you design your servers
> properly (to be
> primarily vehicles that call RPG to get data and pass it
> to JavaServer
> Pages), then the Java part is really quite easy.
>
> Once you get a working prototype in someone's hands, they
> can usually pick
> up the niceties of the syntax as they progress.
>
> Joe

The syntax of Java is one thing I really like.  I haven't
even used /free RPG yet simply because, like Booth said,
it's just another way to do the same thing.  And if I'm
writing code, I want it at least partially portable.  It's
obvious gone are the days when we can compile to V3R2...
 That's too bad, but I guess its a last ditch effort to get
folks to update.

What I am looking for are specific reasons why RPG is wrong
for the web.  I mean, if you look at other methods, it
starts out as "use xxx for the web!"  Then it moves to "use
xxx for the presentation layer, and RPG for the data."
 Net.Data and Java are two examples.

My question is, especially with CGIDEV2 available, why not
just use RPG for everything?  What specifically is better
about servlets for web applications?  The presentation
layer of a web app is actually the smallest part of the
project.  Its the data retrieval and business rules that
are the most important (although most unseen and
unobvious).

So, I say, use RPG for both.  :)  And not because I wrote
books on it.  Anyone that has written a book knows that
royalties maybe pay for a nice Crab Feast and Red Lobster
once in a while.  :)