<snip of David's post>

JMHO, of course. Your mileage may vary.

david
(who is playing against the globetrotters with both hands tied behind his back because he is stuck at V4R4 at the moment)

What I want, which probably has zilch to do with OO, is the compiler not to be tied to the OS version. I'm stuck on V4R5 because of all the testing that is required to upgrade and we have maybe 10 production as400's (some lpar'ed so actual # of boxes is less) and time runs out (can't do anything during our busy season.) We were half way through testing for V5R1 and ran out of time and had to wait until the next year. By then V5R2 was out so we had to start over.

What else I'd like is to import the prototypes rather than /copy them. IOW, to use the compiled object rather than copy source code.

Here's one more: I'd like to be able to have procedures in module b be visible to module a, all of which is in srvpgm a. But, I don't want the procedures in module b to be visible to other pgms which may use the srvpgm - only procedures in module a. (Maybe you can do this already and I just don't know it - as far as I know, once I export a procedure it's exported to the world.)

Embedded sql. (I still think embedded sql needs it's own list, btw!) I'd like to be able to check if a cursor is open. I don't think I can do that unless I try to close it or prepare and check the error. If the cursor were an object, or an attribute of an object, then I could query the object to find out.

Phil