I'm trying to create a file in qtemp with a unique key field using embedded
sql from an interactive rpg program.

The code thats giving me a problem is -

     C                   EVAL      SqlString2= 'CREATE TABLE'
     C                              + ' qtemp/dollibs'
     C                              + ' ('
     C                              + 'dlLib   CHAR ( 10)'
     C                             + ' NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,'
     C                             + ' PRIMARY KEY(dlLib)'
     C                             + ' )'

     C/Exec SQL
     C+  PREPARE PP1 FROM :SqlString2
     C/End-Exec

     C/Exec SQL
     C+  EXECUTE PP1
     C/End-Exec

What happens is the file doesns't get created.

Checking the session job log gives me this message -

Constraint is not valid.

press F1 on the message yields -

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------*
                         Additional Message Information

 Message ID . . . . . . :   CPD32B0

 Date sent  . . . . . . :   04/24/03      Time sent  . . . . . . :
15:11:51

 Message . . . . :   Constraint is not valid.

 Cause . . . . . :   Constraint *N cannot be added for file DOLLIBS in
library
   QTEMP for TYPE value *N. For a referential constraint (TYPE *REFCST), the

   parent file *N in library *N has a delete rule of *N and update rule of
*N.
   The constraint was not added because of errors. The reason code is 15.
The
   reason codes and their meanings are as follows:

     00 - See previous messages.

     01 - Constraint name not valid.

     02 - TYPE value not valid.

     03 - DLTRULE value not valid.

     04 - UPDRULE value not valid.

     05 - File is damaged.

     06 - File constraints are logically damaged.

     07 - System Cross Reference files are damaged.

     08 - A primary key constraint already exists.

     09 - A duplicate unique constraint exists.

     10 - The KEY length is too long.

     11 - The parent file does not exist.

     12 - The parent key does not exist.

     13 - The file can have a maximum of one member.

     14 - The file cannot be a source file.

     15 - The file cannot be in the QTEMP library.

     16 - The parent and dependent files must be in the same ASP.

     17 - The file does not allow write, update, or delete operations

     18 - The file must be an externally described file.

     19 - The file must not be a distributed file.

 Recovery  . . . :   Do one of the following based on the reason code shown,

   and then try the request again.

     01 - Correct the constraint name and retry the function.

     02 - Correct the TYPE value and retry the function.

     03 - Correct the DLTRULE value and retry the function.

     04 - Correct the UPDRULE value and retry the function.

     05 - Delete (DLTF) the file.

     06 - Remove (RMVPFCST) the damaged constraints.

     07 - Perform a reclaim storage (RCLSTG).

     08 - Remove the primary key constraint (RMVPFCST) and then try again.

     09 - Remove the unique constraint (RMVPFCST) and then try again.

     10 - Choose fields whose combined length does not exceed the maximum

          length allowed. See the Database User's Guide.

     11 - Create (CRTPF) the parent file.

     12 - Add primary key or unique constraint (ADDPFCST) to parent file.

     13 - Change the file (CHGPF) to maximum members of one.

     14 - Use a file other than a source file.

     15 - Use a library other than the QTEMP library.

     16 - Use files in the same ASP.

     17 - Use a file that allows write, update and delete operations.

     18 - Use an externally described file.

     19 - Use a file which is not a distributed file.

 Technical description . . . . . . . . :   X'00000000000000000000'

Bottom
 Press Enter to continue.

 F1=Help   F3=Exit   F6=Print   F9=Display message details   F12=Cancel

 F21=Select assistance level

------*

Does anyone know why this cannot be done, or if it can be done and how ?

I can do it if a create a non-keyed file in qtemp and then create a logical
over it in qtemp.
(using embedded sql, CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX)

Thanks for any help.

John B.