This is related to my earlier SQL challenge.  The "ALLOCATION" calculation must
be done in RPG, so
sayeth the powers.  By traditional methods that we have used here, we would
write the records to
the file with all the data except for the calculated ALLOCATION, since we have
to know the total
units for the group before calculating the ALLOCATION for each record in the
group.  Once we hit a
"level break" (or a group break, I suppose, by SQL convention), we have to
re-read the records
just written for that group and calculate that record's allocation and update
the record.  So, in
essence, 3 I/O for each record.

Because there are some performance considerations with this app, I would like
to collect the
group's records in an array that has the same structure as the output file and,
once the group
break occurs, calculate the allocation for each record as it is written to the
output file.
Likely, I would never have more than 20 records to collect for any given group,
but the resulting
output file will have over 20,000 records in it.

Unfortunately, although I'm sure that this has been discussed here, I am unable
to come up with
the magic combination of archive search words to find anything meaningful.  A
scan through the
v5r2 RPG Reference PDF came up empty as well.

Do I want some combination of LIKEREC and DIM?

Advise welcomed!

TIA, Dan