Fighting severe brain fade as April 15th approaches...

We are wondering how to improve performance of an application that uses several
modules.  There is
one main driver module which, essentially, reads through the customer file and,
for each record
read, calls six other modules (ok, procedures) using CALLB.  The thing that
struck me is that each
of these called procedures sets on LR each time it is called.  These procedures
all have several
files defined, and this means that they are opened and closed each time they
are called, right?

Is this a no-brainer?  If I remove the LR from being set on, and just issue a
Return, won't the
files stay open until the job ends?  (This is a batch job.  And there are no
USROPNs on the
files.)

The only things I think I need to watch for is to determine whether any *INZSR
stuff needs to be
moved out so that it runs on each invocation.  And also any working fields that
are expected to be
in a "cleared" state at the beginning of each invocation, I will need to
explicitly clear those.

Anything else?

TIA, Dan