Joe said:

>And I personally have been answering based on a shop
>that made the move to ILE.  Since this can largely
>be automated and there are so few reasons that
>a program will not convert, I find mixed-mode
>shops to be the exception rather than the norm.

This might be a thread wander in the making, but how can one automate
conversion to ILE?  I mean, ILE implies service programs doesn't it?  If you
mean wholesale conversion to RPG IV, then I agree this is trivial.

>I just did an ICT PollCast, and of 30 responders,
>only 5 said they had an even mix of ILE and RPG.
>17 were ILE or mostly ILE, while 3 were mostly OPM.
>1 poor soul was pure OPM.  And 4 don't use RPG

Lies, damned lies and statistics.  Nonetheless, from this list of 26 RPG
shops, 25 of them are mixed and one is OPM only, right?  None are full, pure
ILE only?  Doesn't that support the idea that the mixed environment really
is more common than the full monty?

>I think mixed-mode shops are accidents waiting to happen,
>for the reasons you describe.  The number of possible
>problems far outweigh the minimal investment in conversion
>from OPM to ILE, IN MOST CASES.

Maybe I typed too quick for my brain to catch up.  Let me re-state what I
think you're saying, so I can be more certain we're on the same page...
1) CVTRPGSRC or equivalent to get all OPM RPG in RPG IV syntax.
2) Mass-compile all RPG IV as AG(*CALLER)
3) Locate all top-level programs and make them AG(*NEW)
4) Re-deploy the new code base en masse.

This isn't _really_ ILE, inasmuch as much an exercise to move toward it,
right?  I mean, after we're done, we haven't got any service programs.  But
we're in a position to allow service programs, because everybody is *CALLER
now.  Interesting.

>As I hope I've explained, I was talking about
>an ILE shop, not a mixed-mode shop.

Got it.  But there are a bunch of folks who are just starting to get into
RPG IV and want to dabble with ILE.  What advice do we give these folks, in
the mixed-mode interoperability world?  Folks who may be working with vendor
software, perhaps?
  --buck