--- rob@dekko.com wrote:
> Dan,

Maybe.  Are you sure?  Remember, you don't know the programmer who wrote it.

> For more information I search my Notes documentation database for
> ValidOrder.

In our example, there is no such thing.  This is the reality for 99.9% of the
AS/400 shops out
there.  Count yourself fortunate.

> Detail:
> How a valid order is determined is subject to change.  However, this way I
> don't have to remember to change every program - just update the service
> program.

We haven't even determined that the procedure validates an order number yet.
Even if we go on the
assumption that it does, it hasn't been documented anywhere and, even if it is
in a service
program, it hasn't been put through the QA grind because, frankly, it's a rare
shop indeed that
does thorough QA.

Yes, the "change in one place, automatically affects everything that uses it"
is the way to go.
But only if there is strong QA and documentation.  It sounds like you have
both.

> Can you define what READ does, or do you need to look at that machine
> code?

Is READ documented?  Can anyone in my shop change what READ does?

Rob, it sounds like you are in a programmer's Nirvana.  I have just started to
work in a shop does
the QA thing, all of it, and is open to consider using service programs, and I
am pursuing this in
my free time.  Nothing gets coded here without detailed specs!!!  Our dev box
was just upgraded to
v5r2, and our prod box will be next month.  Wow.

- Dan