Hi Joe,

I believe Gary's point was that it's readable, but to determine what a MOVE
opcode actually doing, you have to know the definitions of Factor 2 and the
Result field, but with the /free method it becomes apparent just by looking
at the EVAL statement.

Also, you talk about removing the MOVE opcode.  If you mean it's been
removed from RPG IV, that is not the case.  If you mean it's been removed
from the /free syntax, it was never in it.  If you mean IBM plans to remove
it from the language, I doubt it.

And no, I don't believe I _did_ say you should learn other syntaxes, so I
assume you're using the general "you". I'm sure you'll learn it if you have
to if you haven't already -- it's obviously not that difficult (there are
only 2 pages on it in the V5R1 RPG Reference manual). The interesting thing
will be the new programmers who come in knowing RPG IV and having to learn
the old (RPG II, RPG III) syntax in order to do maintenance.  Unless they're
allowed to convert it to RPG IV, /free or /end-free.

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice