Carel

I'm sure it's an oversight on your part but you do get the spool file number in the data queue entry in positions 49-52. Its a Bin(4) field. Its in the Printer Device Programming manual.

My normal solution to Bill's problem is, as others have suggested, to use an outqueue as a staging area prior to sending the spool file to an outqueue attached to a writer.

Regards
Evan Harris

Bill,

It depends, after putting the spoolfile in SAVE(*YES).

If a job generates many spool files with the same name it will become difficult, as the data queue option does not supply the spoolfile number. You've only got job name, job user, job number and spool file name in the data from the data queue. So you can only process a spoolfile with a spoolfile number, or the special values *ONLY (this will fail) or *LAST.

There is an alternative to use the List Spoolfiles-Retrieve Spoolfile Attributes-Move Spoolfile API's.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.