When IBM was designing RPG IV, they left open column 46, which I used to
refer to the "Just in case Cozzi was right" column.
I had asked IBM to allow the output specs to be coded as "Starting
positions" rather than "ending positions", but that wasn't backwards
compatible with RPGII and RPG III so they left it in as is.  But they
added an unused or "reserved" column 46 just in case the RPG programmers
demanded that they be allowed to specify that output fields specifed as
"start" rather than "end" positions.  Today, I'd rather see a keyword
the Output heading lines that says something like "ENDPOS" and
"STARTPOS".

The makeshift choice today to allow start positions is really to use
relative positioning. Something like this:

     OQPRINT    E            Heading        1
     O                                           +2 'Field Name'
     O                                           +2 'Type'
     O                                           +4 'Length'
     O                                           +1 'Dec'
     O                                           +1 'Text'

Where each field is +n positions way from the previous field's ending
position. This was in RPGIII as well. But is certainly not as clear or
easy to calculate as true starting positions.

I've never caught the externally described printer file badwagon, but I
think they're pretty cool. Today, I just avoid using them a wish IBM
would enhance the output specs to include support for underlining, bold,
color, barcode, etc, etc. etc.

Bob