From: rob@dekko.com [mailto:rob@dekko.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 10:49 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Can an RPG module call another RPG module?

I take it this doesn't include the source for the operating system?
And, what is considered operating system?  For example, fax software too?

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"alan shore" <SHOREA@dime.com>
Sent by: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com
12/12/2002 10:09 AM
Please respond to rpg400-l

        To:     <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
        cc:
        Fax to:

To paraphrase Forrest Gump - Bunk is as bunk does.
Do the proverbial "they" make banks jump through hoops. Of course they do.
God forbid anything should go wrong or missing. We are talking about
peoples accounts and money here.
As far as the source NEVER being on the PRODUCTION machine, that situation
can NEVER happen. Everything pertaining to the executable has to be
migrated to the Production region - COME WHAT MAY. If any piece is NOT
there - it does not go. Simple as that.
The idea behind all of this (and obviously you are not under the same
stringent rules) is that banks and financial institutions are trusted with
other peoples money. Banks etc have to provide as secure a places as
possible. Hence the bank I work for REQUIRES that any vendors supply the
sources etc with the application. If the vendor does not do this, then
they are NOT EVEN considered, even if they are the best application in the
world for counting widgets or whatever is being considered.
Can anyone spell ENRON or WORLDCOM or have we so soon forgotten.
Financial institutions cannot afford to be lax in their dealings with
honesty and being as secure as possible. IMHO

>>> <rob@dekko.com> 12/11/02 04:23PM >>>
Sounds like they make banks go through a bunch of bunk.

Alan,  If the source is NEVER on the production machine in the first
place, how can they possibly be using the wrong version of the source?
Let's say you don't even have the compiler loaded on the production
machine.  Which we often don't.  The only reason that the compiler is on
our largest machine is because of one software package that generates RPG
on the fly for flexible reporting.

Do you also have to keep a list of vendor programs that have no source, in
the case of vendor purchased packages?  How do the auditors approve these?

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

"alan shore" <SHOREA@dime.com>
Sent by: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com