Mike, I've become a firm advocate of load-all, with a scroll bar.  The limit
for a screen seems to be somewhere around 2000 to 2200 because above that
point a user cannot easily scroll to the item they want.  Even the smallest
scroll bar movement becomes 100 or so records.

About performance:  This issue comes up regularly.  Lots of files in use by
a user during the day are work files and auxiliary files that are usually
under 600 records.  My experience is that load-all is very fast and has the
beauty of being a one-time deal.  After that, response time is zero.  If the
subfile  could be 13,000 records, and the user used this file all day long,
waiting 1 or 2 minutes extra in the morning for it to load would be a small
penalty to pay to gain instant response dozens and dozens of times all day
long.

To make this load-all technique work best though you'll want to add in a
scroll bar.  They are nifty, they are attractive, and they work.  Your users
need to be able to set a line at the top? So you need to write a dozen lines
of code and test, etc?  Just write *SCRBAR in front of your *MORE keyword
and be done with it.

I sure do wish someone at IBM could add some white light to this discussion.
 It comes up regularly and none of us really know the performance
constraints.

Booth Martin   http://www.MartinVT.com
Booth@MartinVT.com