Jim,

>With external definitions, you can use PREFIX(whatever_) on your externally
>described files and add the prefixes at run time, rather than design time.

I interpreted the contention to be external definitions which changed whether or
not this was a good idea, not the prefix keyword.  External definitions pre-date
prefix by what, 14 years?

And while PREFIX could be used as you describe above, until qualified DS names
I'm not sure I see the value in doing so.  I suppose it may simply the use of a
field reference file, but I use a FRF file anyway and just need to add the
REFFLD() keyword to the DDS.

I currently use prefixes for things like before and after images of a trigger
buffer or where I otherwise want multiple copies of a file's DS.

Doug