Hmmm...IBM fiddles, and the mid-market opportunities burn up.  If this is
the situation, we can solve this problem quickly: lock the decision-makers
in a room, sent them lots of beverages, and withhold washroom privileges
until they resolve their differences.  I hope Buell Duncan will do what's
right for the platform; otherwise the mid-market will be even more of a
middling-market than it already is.  When it was a big market, it was a
"mini" market; now that it's a system with gigantic capabilities, the
market's mini.  Sigh.

The nice thing about date data types is that you have to work really have to
put cr*p (with a tip of the hat to the SMEX censorees; this is the 21st
century, folks, try watching TV soap operas some time!) into a date.  In
dealing with conversions, I come across these programmer productivity
enhancements on a regular basis...it's amazing how many dates have two
decimal places!

Programmers around here know they'll be forcibly ejected from the building
(did I mention we're on the second floor?  If they're lucky, they land on
grass) if the contents of a data element don't match the text and column
heading.

-reeve