We are experiencing some response time problems on some of our customers
machines since installing a new release of our software. IBM software has
stayed the same. The users are complaining that batch programs are slower
and that interactive response times are slower also. We could account for
some of the batch programs taking longer to run because of more data being
stored with the new software but are at a loss to explain the interactive
response.

We did emplement activation groups with this release, but all programs run
in the same named activation group. While it might take longer for the
first program to load up, I can't see this as being the probelm for overall
response time.

So we loaded the performance tools and looked around. We noticed on one of
the reports (included below) that the number of authority lookups seems
abnormally high. Other reports show the individual users jobs that have
abnormally high authority hits. I thought this was caused by individual
users having special authorities in their user profiles.  On our system,
every user is a member of a group profile, and this group profile did have
special authorities. So we removed the special authorities from the group
profile (IOSYSCONFIG, SYSSAVE) and thought we had the problem fixed.
However, we ran the report a couple of days later and still got the same
kind of numbers.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm stumped.

Partition ID  : 00         Feature Code  . :22A2-2248-1517
                            Exception Counts
             Exception
               Type                    Description
Total
         ----------------    -----------------------------------
-----------
         Size                Size
33
         Binary Overflow     Binary overflow
0
         Decimal Overflow    Decimal overflow
33
         Flp Overflow        Floating point overflow
0
         Decimal Data        Decimal data
1
         Aut Lookup          Authority lookup
1,636,706
         PAG Fault           Process Access Group fault
0
         Seize Conflict      Seize conflict
886
         Lock Conflict       Lock conflict
334
         Verify              Verify
83
         Teraspace EAO       Teraspace Effective Address Overflow
0

Ron Hawkins