from the ibm knowlege base ...

Document Title
Behavior of FTP Passive Mode

Document Description
Many times when using FTP, the user gets signed on the FTP server without a
problem, but when he tries to do a GET, PUT, LS, or DIR, the client session
reports the following error: Unable to Establish Data Connection or Error 451,
Transfer Aborted. Other times, the FTP client session appears to hang for a
long period of time and eventually times out.

The root of this problem is that there may be a firewall between the systems.
When going to the iSeries 400 server or from the iSeries 400 client, a control
connection is made over port 21. After the user is logged on the FTP server,
local and current directories can be changed. After this, the user initiates a
GET or a PUT to move the file to a specific location. When data is passed
between two systems via a GET, PUT, LS, or DIR, using Passive Mode, the client
and server choose ephemeral ports (random port numbers, usually above 1024).
This may conflict with firewalls that restrict certain port activity. To fix
this problem, before doing the GET, PUT, LS, or DIR, change to Port Mode using
the SENDPASV subcommand. Port Mode causes the server to open the Data
Connection, using port 20.

The SENDPASV command works as a toggle switch, alternating between Passive Mode
and Port Mode. Starting at V4R4M0, SENDPASV 0 sets the mode to Port and
SENDPASV 1 sets the mode to Passive. When setting the mode to Port, FTP will
send data over port 20 rather than choosing a random port. This helps firewall
administrators who must open only ports 20 and 21. (If Network Address
Translation is used, Passive Mode may be necessary, as only the client can open
connections in certain cases.)

The mode (Passive or Port) is determined by the FTP client. The iSeries 400
client defaults to Passive mode, starting at V4R2M0. The default can be changed
to Port mode using the following command to create a data area:

CRTDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QTMFTPPASV) +
TYPE(*LGL) AUT(*USE)

Deleting this data area returns the default to Passive mode.

part of the answer?
jim franz