Hi Jenny,

Welcome to our world!  <g>

>Also as someone fairly new to programming I find it surprising when
>people say why code in REXX when other people won't know it, why
>maintain SQL code if your an RPG programmer, why learn about the
>logic cycle if it wasn't taught etc.  One of the best things about
>programming is learning new things isn't it?  That's what keeps the
>mind interested.

I think that the RPG400-L community as a whole *is*, in fact, more
aggressive in learning and utilizing multiple languages than the general
AS/400 IT population.  Most of the negative comments regarding the use of a
new/unused language *usually* stems from an ugly, but recurring, business
reality.  Some like to call it the "Mack truck syndrome"; if I'm doing a lot
of programming in REXX and I get hit today by a Mack truck, who's going to
maintain my code?  Frankly, since there aren't that many AS/400
professionals that know REXX, most companies would probably scrap my REXX
apps and start from scratch.  That is why most companies keep a tight rein
on the tools they allow their programmers to use.

So, what is the AS/400 professional to do?  Keep learning, dabble in the new
stuff when you can, keep your ears perked for an opportunity that makes
using the new stuff much more advantageous than using the shop standard, and
offer to teach your colleagues what you've learned.

Just my $.02.

- Dan Bale
(I am *NOT* "Dale"
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200105/msg00281.html )