Jim,

>Unfortunately, most programming knowledge I've found comes from doing.
>You can read all the books you want, but until you actually write it you
>have no clue, that's what I've found anyway.

me too.  my problem is, my customers don't pay me to play and they don't
now ILE from shinola.  This time around, I'll give it a day or two, then
I'll have to get on to other things  Don't want to, but deadlines
approach...  maybe the next 'new' project.

>The same is with ILE.  I read up on ILE quite a bit and had a foggy
>notion of what it did, then I went and created a service program,
>binding directory, service file (?), used calls in an RPG ILE program,
>*then* I understood it.  Then when I read about it I have more of a
>foundation to understand what people are talking about.

>Activation groups are a bit the same way.  You can read all you want,
>but until you start using them and seeing how they act and such, it's
>just a foggy notion.

>I've pretty much come to the conclusion in AGs, that if your performance
>is fine, leave stuff in the Default activation group if you can, if you
>are having performance issues, use a *NEW or *NAMED activation group,
>and everything that activation group calls use *CALLER activation group.
>This is just my conclusion, however, and since I haven't tried it, can't
>say for sure.  Again, fuzzy book knowledge, not experience knowledge.

>Not enough people are using named activaction groups to give you any
>tips from experience, I don't think, as most people don't need to.  How
>long would it take you to try it using the *default activation group
>versus a *NEW or *NAMED activation group and testing response time?
>I can guess that *NEW and *CALLER will speed up your performance, but
don't
>know enough from real world experience to tell you for sure.

I'm looking into the 'named' and *caller scenario now.  I'll report back on
my progress.

>In another year or so more people would have had a need to use activation
>groups to have more knowledge to share.

yeah, but.  ;P

ILE's been out there for several years now, and all the big guru's on the
list say we're all a bunch of slackers if we don't use it right, yet I
still haven't seen any progress from the huddled masses.

But the discussion is helping....  all of us.... I was heartened to see the
'AG's for beginners' posts this morning.  This is just what we need.  I
haven't had a chance to parse it, plus, I was waiting for all the
additions, arguements, corrections to shake out before jumping in ;P.

>Regards,

>Jim Langston

thanks for the encouragement,

rick