Hi Simon,

You have a very good point there, but (for my specific case at least) there
are some flaws:

I already consider myself reasonably good at RPG, ILE and stuff on V4R3,
but what I really would like to do is get started with the new V5R1 stuff.

Problem: there are (to my knowledge) no internet sites that offer
timesharing on a V5R1 box.

We _do_ have a v5 box at work, but it's a production system, and we cannot
use it to 'play around'.  We have to use our development box (v4r3) to do
this.

Staying late at night or coming over on a Sunday morning... Well, try
explaining that to my wife... She sees this as a job, not a career, you
know...

Reading a book.  Yeah right, like the book on Java for RPG programmers.  I
bought it, read (most of) it, and found the title not quite in accordance
with the contents: it should read 'Java for ILE gurus'.

News/400 (now iSeries News): read it each month, courtesy of my employer.
But reading about something can by now means compare to 'hands-on' trial
and error.

Freebies from IBM?  Not in Belgium, as far as I know...

Getting paid to use the new exciting stuff I've read about?  Yes, please.

As you can see, it's not my attitude, but the circumstances that stand in
my way.

Regards,

Peter Colpaert
Application Developer
Honda Europe NV
Yoda of Borg are we: Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we will.

"Simon Coulter" <shc@flybynight.com.au>@midrange.com on 02/03/2002 02:40:46

Please respond to rpg400-l@midrange.com

Sent by:  rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com