Richard,

Unfortunately, most programming knowledge I've found comes from doing.  You
can read all the books you want, but until you actually write it you have no
clue, that's what I've found anyway.

The same is with ILE.  I read up on ILE quite a bit and had a foggy notion
of what it did, then I went and created a service program, binding
directory, service file (?), used calls in an RPG ILE program, *then* I
understood it.  Then when I read about it I have more of a foundation to
understand what people are talking about.

Activation groups are a bit the same way.  You can read all you want, but
until you start using them and seeing how they act and such, it's just a
foggy notion.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion in AGs, that if your performance is
fine, leave stuff in the Default activation group if you can, if you are
having performance issues, use a *NEW or *NAMED activation group, and
everything that activation group calls use *CALLER activation group.  This
is just my conclusion, however, and since I haven't tried it, can't say for
sure.  Again, fuzzy book knowledge, not experience knowledge.

Not enough people are using named activaction groups to give you any tips
from experience, I don't think, as most people don't need to.  How long
would it take you to try it using the *default activation group versus a
*NEW or *NAMED activation group and testing response time?  I can guess that
*NEW and *CALLER will speed up your performance, but don't know enough from
real world experience to tell you for sure.

In another year or so more people would have had a need to use activation
groups to have more knowledge to share.

Regards,

Jim Langston