From: rob@dekko.com [mailto:rob@dekko.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 11:29 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Eric's training sessions at his employers.

Not that I suggest stealing their material - these people do it for a
living, but you may wish to see the sessions offered at common, read their
synopsis and think what you would cover in a session like that and go from
there.

Rob Berendt
Benjamin Franklin

                    "DeLong, Eric"
                    <EDeLong@Sallybea       To:
"'rpg400-l@midrange.com'" <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
                    uty.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    rpg400-l-admin@mi       Subject:     RE: Why we don't
use procedures more (was MOVE opcode in
                    drange.com               freeform /strange behavior
w/%editc)

                    03/01/2002 11:42
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    rpg400-l

I'm pleased to mention that I've _FINALLY_ been given permission to conduct
a series of training session with our local staff.  I'm trying really hard
to stay out of ILE for now, but that's the ultimate goal.  We had our first
session earlier this week, and I see a LOT of interest from most of the
coders here.  Note that I'm not a professional trainer; I'm a little out of
my league here, but still grateful for the chance to bring the others up to
speed.......

IMO, the real problem for most of the folks here is finding good example
code to use as training examples.  The lists have really brought me along,
but most coders here have neither the time or inclination to dig through
the
piles of email to find these little gems.  Fine, leave it to me then.  I'll
start the ball rolling and see if I can build INTEREST in the technology.

It's amazing to watch the light come on.  When they SEE for themselves the
advantages of modular design and modern coding technique, their whole
attitude changes.  The biggest hurdle is getting them interested in
learning
again.

BTW, if anyone has a basic outline of topics I should cover, I'd really
appreciate a copy.  I really want these sessions to be a benefit for our
staff.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Sr. Programmer/Analyst
940-898-7863 or ext. 1863