From: Richard B Baird [mailto:rbaird@esourceconsulting.com]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 6:53 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Why we don't use procedures more (was MOVE opcode in
freeform / strange behavior w/%editc)

Cris,

I think that you are right, it IS that I'm having trouble fitting these
concepts into RPG.   You say you started with C and that's given you a leg
up - I've always been an RPG guy.

I've 'taught myself' VB 3 times now.  I've been to Domino development
classes.  Only once did I write something in either of those languages that
would actually be used by anyone on a regular basis.  I've forgotten more
about vb and domino than many midrange P/As will ever learn.  But I've
never had the chance to hone my skills over a reasonable period of time to
actually feel comfortable with them.  nobody wants to pay a consultant to
learn VB or Domino.  I'm not clever enough to design something useful out
of thin air - I need to talk with someone with a need, determine the
desired results and design and produce the means to achieve the results and
then set a fire under my *ss to get it done in a timely manner.

learning C would be out of the question at this point - I'm too old to
start a new language - and I don't get ANY exposure to it.  If I saw more
of it in my day to day activities, I would start to pick up some.

eventually, I'll get my brain around the ile stuff to the point that I can
talk intellegently about it so I can convince the folks who sign the checks
that it's a good idea.   but it's the classic chicken/egg problem.

thanks for the encouragement though,

rick