It's been said before, but it bears repeating; there are affordable
timeshare services available for AS/400 use (ie: www.netshare400.com). In
fact, I'm pretty sure that Carl Galgano still offers one for FREE at
www.ediconsulting.com.

Use these services to learn your craft, then put together a useful service
program with good examples of useage, and present the result to the team
back at the office. Once they see how much more productive you can be with
modern programming practices, I think they might be more willing to move
forward with the times. Hell, they don't even have to write the service
programs themselves! Maybe you'll carve yourself out a little niche as the
"systems guy" who has all the fun.

Sure, it'd be nice if we had Open/400 to run on our Intel box, but it's not
likely to happen anytime soon, if ever. Are you willing to keep falling
behind the times while you wait? If so, you'll have no one to blame but
yourself when you lose that next job to a more capable developer.

Regards,

John Taylor