Hey you shouldn't believe everything you read in books, even the venerable
Mr. Cozzi can occasionally be less than 100% correct <g>

CALLP, just as I said means Call with prototype.  The default is for it to
call a procedure (which is also achieved by using the keyword EXTPROC on the
PR).  If the keyword EXTPGM is used then a regular CALL is generated.

 > I guess I don't understand what the activation group provides (or
doesn't) to the binding process.  An explanation would be appreciated.

An AG is simply a subdivision of a job used to scope storage and resources
such as ODPs etc.  There are some differences between the default AG and a
named or *New AG the main one being that an OPM program can run _only_ in
the default AG.  ILE programs can run in either.  ILE programs can be run in
the default quite safely but you need to know more about ILE to not use it
than you do to use it if you see what I mean.  Running ILE in the default
can result in some strange behaviors and it is far simpler and safer to
simply run your ILE stuff in named (or *New) AGs.  I suggest you try reading
the ILE introductory piece in the RPG Redbook ("Who knew you could ...") and
then move on to the ILE Concepts manual.  There have also been a number of
threads in this group - check the archives and you'll probably find more
than you ever wanted to know <grin>

Jon Paris
Partner400