Funny you mention the DO(While) vs DO(Until) thing. You still see, even
today, style guides that say "Do not use Do While loops" but what the
RPG coders that assimilate this mentality don't seem to realize is, in
the language (such as Java or C) for which the "style guide" was
written, they do NOT have DOW and DOU operation codes. They have:

  Do {
    //  insert code to run here;

  }  while ( x != NULL)

So what they're talking about is that a programmer can easily miss the
fact that the above code is a DO/WHILE loop instead of a do loop.
Actually this translates to a DO UNTIL (DOU) in RPG.

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com

On
> Behalf Of Smith, Nelson
> Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 7:42 AM
> To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
> Subject: RE: MOVE opcode in freeform (was Strange behavior w/%editc)
>
> I agree with that, Bob.  That has always been one of my pet peeves
with
> magazine and newsgroup code.  The same folks who will argue endlessly
over
> the merits of DOW vs. DOU, often post such abbreviated
hard-to-understand
> code, always claiming lack of space or time as the justification for
it.
> I've even seen some of that from the boys and girls at the lab, and
they
> should be the evangelists of free-form. Or at least, promoting the
proper
> use of it.  As far as I'm concerned, this list is my number one
classroom
> and I count on it for "best of breed" examples that I can copy and
file away
> for future use.
>
> Where is the best place to find well-written examples of free-form (in
any
> language)?  Are there any good books on style? I'm just now going to
V5, and
> since I've had so little experience at it, I would like to have some
good
> examples to go by, initially.  Not the most technically correct code,
but
> code that is easiest to read and maintain. Emphasis on "maintain".
I've yet
> to decide if it's the way to go or not, but I agree that "mixed" is
not a
> pretty sight.
>
> > But to be honest, I have yet to see one example of free-format RPG
IV

******

******

******