All,

Am I missing the forest because the trees are blocking the view here?

Given the following prototype:

D SndPgmMsg       PR                  ExtPgm('QMHSNDPM')
D   MsgCode                      7a   const
D   MsgFileLib                  20a   const
D   MsgData                  32766a   const options(*varsize)
D   MsgDataLen                  10i 0 const
D   MsgType                     10a   const options(*varsize)
D   MsgQueue                    10a   const
D   MsgQueueNbr                 10i 0 const
D   MsgQKey                      4a
D   ErrorCode                32766a   options(*varsize)
D   callStkEntLen...
D                               10i 0 const options(*nopass)
D   callStkEntQual...
D                               20    const options(*nopass)
D   dspPgmMsgTime...
D                               10i 0 const options(*nopass)
D   callStkEntType...
D                               10    const options(*nopass)
D   msgDtaCCSID                 10i 0 const options(*nopass)
 *
D dsEC            DS
D  dsECBytesP             1      4I 0 INZ(256)
D  dsECBytesA             5      8I 0 INZ(0)
D  dsECMsgID              9     15
D  dsECReserv            16     16
D  dsECMsgDta            17    256
 *
D KeyVal          S              4a    Inz(*Blanks)
D MsgTxt          S            100a    Inz(*Blanks)

Shouldn't the following code send a message to my screen?  The
message appears on the joblog when I look at
dspjoblog/detailed messages, but not on the screen...

Eval      MsgTxt =  "The message I want to send"
reset                   KeyVal
callp     SndPgmMsg('CPF9898':
                    'QCPFMSG   *LIBL  ':
                    MsgTxt:
                    %Len(MsgTxt):
                    '*INFO':
                    '*':
                    1:
                    KeyVal:
                    dsEC)

This is followed by

if        dsECBytesA > 0
eval      Msg = 'QMSNDPM error ' + dsECMsgID
dsply                   msg
return
endif

No error occurs in the program or procedure.

"The message I want to send" never appears on screen.

"The message I want to send" does appear in dspjoblog/detailed
messages.

Is my prototype wrong?  Is my call stack entry wrong?  There's
clearly something I have missed and am not seeing.  Any help
would be appreciated, as I slowly descend into madness...

--Chris