If we didn't have pointers in RPG IV, it would be so difficult to call
the various C runtime library functions that we've been exploiting.

I agree that if people fall into a groove of using pointers for things
like link lists, that is going too far, and an array, or multiple
occurrence data structure might be safer.

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com

On
> Behalf Of Mel Rothman
> Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 5:32 PM
> To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
> Subject: Re: Adding pointers to RPG language.
>
> I think we are more in agreement than not.
>
> Yes, RPG pointer support is nothing like C pointer support.  However,
I was
> commenting about no pointer support versus what has been implemented.
If the
> RPG IV compiler team were to implement additional pointer support, it
would
> make my day! :-)
>
> Regarding pointers being overused, I can comment only for myself, and
I plead
> "not guilty."  I use them to accomplish what can't be accomplished
nearly as
> easily in other ways or when they give me significant performance
advantages
> over the alternatives.
>
> I agree that many RPG programmers have trouble with pointers, as do
many C,
> Pascal, etc. programmers.  Pointers are tools, like any other.  The
user has
> to learn how to use them properly or suffer the consequences.
Programmers