On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 MWalter@hanoverwire.com wrote:

> Thanks. What if the OVERRIDE is done in the RPG itself? I know,bad idea,
> but it's been like that forever.

Why is that a bad idea?  I think putting it in the same RPG where the
file opens is the *best* way to go about it.

IMHO, a well written program never relies on other programs to make
sure it does it's job correctly.  In just about every one of my recent
programs I make all of the files be USROPN, and then do the overrides
inside the program, and then open them.

This way, everything's right there in front of the programmer.  He
doesn't need to search to find every CL that might do different overrides
on a program.

Furthermore, activation groups immediately become a non-issue.  When the
override is in the same program, it has to also be in the same actgrp.

Any programmer who understands:
       OVRDBF FILE(XXX) TOFILE('X' *CAT &YEAR)

Will also understand:
     C                   callp     Cmd('OVRDBF FILE(XXX) TOFILE(X'
     C                                  + YEAR + ')': 200)

Aside from that, all you're doing is putting the override next to the
open where it will be obvious what's happening!